Saturday, February 20, 2010

My Home Made Gringo Gordita

Hello everyone, Here is the newest dinner I have made. It was VERY good!! This one it a big thicker on the calorie side, but still isn't too bad. It was a total of 557 calories.

A couple months ago Amy and I got a small bag of pinto beans. I wanted to try to make some re-fried beans from scratch in a healthy way. We had some extra time today so I thought I would make a Gringo Gordita (my own invention).

First off the beans, I made it with a serving for 4. Here is what you need:
  • 1 Cup of Pinto Beans
  • 5 Cloves of Roasted Garlic
  • 1/4 Cup Chicken Broth
  • 2 Tablespoons Butter w/ Canola Oil by Land O Lakes
  • Sea Salt
  • Garlic Powder
  • Onion Powder
The way I cooked this was:
  • Boil the Pinto beans in water for 2 hour
  • After 2 hours I pored out all the water until they beans were 1/2 covered with water.
  • Then, put in the rest of the ingredients into the pot and put the flame at low-med
  • Stir every 5~10 min or so for 30 min
  • After 30 min, smash and your beans are done (it is about 4 1/2 oz. a serving)
That was the hard part. Next the rest of the Gordita:
  • 1 Pita Bread, They one I used I got from the farmers market and is 116 calories
  • 4oz of 7% fat Ground Turkey. I would have gotten 1% to save on calories but this is what I had
  • 1/2 Cup shredded cabbage
  • 1/4 Cup shredded Mozzarella 2% cheese
  • 2 Tablespoons Chipotle Salsa Safeway Select
Here is how we cook the rest of the Gordita
  • Cook the meat in a pan with a lid
  • Once meat is cooked put the Pita bread on top of the meat, put the lid on and let it steam
  • Once it is hot, build the gordita with all the ingredients
It was REALLY good... Here are some pictures...







No comments: